Thought for the day
On this page you will find eclectic collection of thoughts and references to articles, books and other material covering various issues including business, social business, ethics and wisdom in its broadest sense. Additional material may be found on Twitter using @Axiom_e.
If you are encouraged, challenged or otherwise affected by the comments, please let us know.
- 26th: Random Acts Of Kindness do occur! Yesterday a Croydon company offered a GBP3,000 donation to George'sRainbow Fund for his SnapDragon powerchair. If that was you, thank you very much.
- 18th: The inaugural Queen Elizabeth Prize for Engineering
was won today by five engineers for their
ground-breaking work which led to the internet and world-wide web which
billions of people make use today. Congratulations to you all. Dan Everard, the founder and Managing Director of Dragonmobility,
one of our clients, was also nominated for the prestigious QE Prize,
for his life's work developing intuitive powered mobility for disabled
people. We are proud and privileged to work with you Dan! Read Dragonmobility's press release here.
- "Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin" ~ Mother Teresa
- Axiom-e likes the first crowd-funded project of Dragonmobility , one of
our clients. Dragonmobility is a social enterprise and the only British
manufacturer of power-chairs for really active, disabled people. Fund-raising
for the project expires at Christmas so, for every donation of GBP50 (or
multiples thereof), Axiom-e will contribute GBP1 to The Turbo Trust , which helps
fund power-chairs for users such as those you can read about here. Let's help to keep Dragonmobility helping users from around
the world. Thank you for contributing and/or passing on the link to others.
- Click to see the latest video from Dragonmobility, a social enterprise making innovative powerchairs."See the person not the chair".
- The combination of social enterprises, social action and social justice has a significantly positive impact on society, as Jubilee Plus demonstrates.
- On 'A' Level results day, whether students get the grades they wanted or not, remember: "The race is not to the swift or the battle to the strong; nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or favour to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all." (Ecclesiastes 9: 11)
- "The Christian faith, rightly understood, can be an enormous power for good in the global economy. It stimulates enterprise, reduces poverty, promotes integrity, encourages sustainability and fosters discipleship." Richard Higginson Faith, Hope & The Global Economy: A Power For Good
- "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." Mahatma Ghandi
- "Speak up for those who cannot speak up for themselves, for the rights
of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights
of the poor and needy." (Proverbs 31:8-9)
- "Ambitions birth success; visions birth significance." Chika Akinwale in From Good to Great
- "...social business is a subset of social entrepreneurship. All
those who design and run social businesses are social entrepreneurs. But
not all social entrepreneurs are engaged in social businesses" Muhammad Yunus Creating a World Without Poverty
- "A social business is a company that is cause-driven rather than
profit driven, with the potential to act as a change agent for the
world....A social business is not a charity. It is a business in every
sense. It has to recover its full costs while achieving its social
objective. When you are running a business, you think differently and
work differently than when you are running a charity. And this makes all
the difference in defining social business and its impact on society." Muhammad Yunus Creating a World Without Poverty