How Axiom-e can help
As part of an integrated approach to strategic financial management, and as a consequence of our other work, Axiom-e can provide mentoring and coaching services when you seek to:
Whilst appearing to be quite disparate, these three activities are
related by the fact that they all require a clear plan of action to be
prepared which sets out what expenditure (or investment) is required,
what the expected benefits (or returns) are and how risky the proposal
is perceived to be. These factors are often brought together in a
formal Business Plan or Investment Proposal.
- arrange equity and loan finance
- structure deals for buying/selling businesses
- prepare proposals for major capital expenditure projects
Through our close relationships with funders and corporate finance
advisors, we have a good understanding of what is required to help
financiers make a positive decision to fund your business. This enables us to identify the most suitable sources of funds (eg bank, venture capitalist, business angel or other company) and to work with you to produce documents and presentations for discussion with potential backers.
In the last few years, we have helped to secure funds from GBP20,000 asset-backed finance to GBP4m from venture capitalists.
The work will typically involve us in:
The relevance of Business Plans
- questioning the assumptions and scenarios on which draft plans/proposals have been prepared
- preparing business plans and justifications
- assessing your financial models
and critiquing your written commentaries and presentations so as to
ensure they are focused in order to meet funders' needs
- assessing potential investors
- preparing you for meetings with potential investors
- discussing how you might negotiate deals with investors
The importance of an appropriate plan which clearly, but concisely,
sets out all the relevant facts including the financials, cannot be
The quality and internal consistency of plans is important.
"The first thing I look for is how well the business plan is written...One of the biggest things that puts me off investing is when the business
doesn't have a good financial set-up. They often focus on the idea
rather than who is going to look after the finances. And a lot of the
time the numbers don't stack up...Most young companies are keen to get
things started and they don't think properly about their plans." A Business Angel
Our staff's major achievements in this field include:
- successfully negotiating with banks for loans for start-ups often with a SFLG (Small Firm Loan Guarantee) from the DTI
- successfully negotiating asset finance for new and mature companies
- successfully negotiating with venture capitalists over funding for businesses
- preparing proposals for several GBPmulti-million investments covering capital expenditure and acquisitions
- successfully negotiating a medium-term loan facility of more than GBP5m
- negotiating with bankers over funding for a new factory in Germany
- project-managing (including raising investment proposals for) the selection and implementation of business systems with individual project costs of up to GBP1.5m
Do not just take our word for it:
- "Before we start to discuss your application, let me say this was the most useful, comprehensive plan that I have seen" Senior Business Banking Manager, NatWest
- "Your (Business) Plan is the best, most detailed plan I have seen...Real Premier League stuff!" Corporate Banking Manager, Barclays Bank
- "The benefits of working with Axiom-e
are clear: the quality of the work undertaken was of a very high
standard and the speed with which they were able to wrap up
negotiations with the bank was impressive." Director of a client for whom Axiom-e had just secured a bank loan.
- "As your business plan (prepared by Axiom-e) was
extremely comprehensive and clear, we do not require any more
information from you and will send our loan term sheet to you shortly." Corporate Business Manager, AIB, following a meeting with a not-for-profit client for whom we had sought a GBP2.5m bank loan.
Click for some more information and advice on
The work required is case-specific. To benefit from our services, please contact us for a free initial discussion after which we will provide a quote for undertaking the work necessary.